Web Log Madness

In case some of you haven’t noticed I’ve recently been trying to straighten out problems with our web log. We had been “hacked” by a blog-bot that exploited a flaw in versions of WordPress prior to the 2.3.3 release. So, I had to clean up several posts removing <noscript> and <iframe> spam sections inserted by these dirty bots. A couple of the posts were pretty much completely trashed. One of them I had not backed up so it had to be completely rewritten once I got the bug fixes in place.

After I updated to WordPress 2.3.3 one of the posts was hacked again and had to be restored from backup. Apparently the hole in the older WordPress allowed the crackers to insert files into our WordPress directory that allowed them back in even after I closed the holes. So, I had to wipe out the directory at our host and reinstall WordPress from download. I also closed off registration until I could find out if the updated WordPress was now really “secure”.

Then we had comment problems due to the upgraded WordPress and an old theme I had been using [sigh]. So, I had to solve that problem by updating to a new theme. Now it appears that the new theme causes “issues” with folks using Firefox (jerky scrolling) and it does not scale well for those that need to use large fonts to view web pages [sigh, sigh]. I updated to the latest release of the new theme and the latest release of WordPress as of today. Still not fixed [sigh, sigh, sigh]. Needless to say, I am tired of chasing down problems with our blog at this point. So, I am sticking with the new theme for a bit and going to try to contact the theme author to see if he would be willing to look into the problems.

I’ll put another post in this category (ERACC Blog) once I have more information for y’all.